Monday, March 9, 2009

Freerollin' is the best way to roll...

So, the first step in making something out of nothing is of course the freeroll. For those of you not familiar with poker, various sites (including Full Tilt which is where I play at) allows individuals to enroll in tournaments called "freerolls" which allow you to win actual money without putting any in.

So it's a Saturday night (sorry, this post is a few days late) and I came across a freeroll for no-limit texas hold-em at Full Tilt starting at 10:40 pm, which opens for registration at 10:00 and closes because 2700 players enter and fill the tournament in about 15 seconds. The prize structure is:

After registering for this, my first freeroll, and then waiting around for 40 minutes for the tourney to start, I started playing relatively well and was feeling good about the style of play I was working. Got through the first break (1 hr), and several more breaks at 1 hr intervals. I started playing pretty conservatively and miraculously ended up still in the mix when we went to break with 22 players left, meaning that I was in the money.




I played a few more hands, felt good about a hand and got sucked out on and ended up in 20th place, meaning that I still made the money! $2 in the bank baby!



Now it's off to the cashier to confirm the money was there...


Thankfully, Full Tilt has the "micro" stakes tables, where you can play $0.01/$0.02 blinds with pot-limit hold-em. Here we go. Wish me luck! (of course it will have to wait a bit, as this tourney didn't end up wrapping up until 4:14 am. Eek!) The amount of work put into this $2 makes me appreciate the child laborers working for less overseas...

1 comment: